skip navigationtext only

Gunthorpe


Though unremarkable in its entry, William the Conqueror made reference to Gunthorpe in the Doomsday book. The population grew to several hundred before being devastated by the plague which ravaged Britain and much of Europe from 1347 to 1351.

Today, Gunthorpe remains as one of Rutland's tiniest inhabited Hamlets, with just 10 houses and 16 residents.

Gunthorpe's oldest surviving building was built circa 1840. Now a farmhouse, the Durham Ox Inn was a popular haunt of the Navvies and Labourers engaged in the construction of part of the London Midland and Scottish Railway, which ran between Kettering and Oakham during the mid 19th Century.

Despite being dissected by the railway and the main Oakham to Uppingham A6003 road, the tiny Hamlet of Gunthorpe remains a lively idyll, which typifies the agricultural heart of Rutland.

Set in the rolling hills adjoining the River Gwash, approximately 2 1/2 miles south of Oakham and on the Western shores of Rutland Water, Gunthorpe has several footpaths and bridle-roads which offer some of the County's most enjoyable, all-year round views.

Accommodation
Clubs & Groups
Attractions
Events
Eating & Drinking
Businesses
Classifieds
Job
View noticeboard


Take over management of Gunthorpe